December 11, 2008

Upgrade Your Treo 750 to Windows Mobile 6.1

I finally succeed in upgrading my Treo into WM 6.1 (using standard edition, fyi there is also a lite version and maybe the others).

The notable upgrades are :
  1. The boot screen after Palm Logo, it shows Windows Mobile Version 6.1 splash screen.
  2. The my info page which i don't know why when I was using WM6 the "MY" letter will always be cut so it will show "MV" by default and now in WM6.1 is looking good with a new font also.
  3. The themes look similar to Windows Mobile Green themes, but this one is cooler.
  4. The task manager is much much better than the WM5.
  5. The thread SMS is much the same I guess (glad it's still there :D)
  6. We can also play sounds / music / voice note in Note application (can WM5/WM6 do this? i'm not sure coz I've been using PhatNotes since a long time)
  7. There is a new PIE feature embedded. We can do a zoom out view of a web page for a wider look.
  8. The Windows Live and Windows Live Messenger is not included in this ROM.

Anyway, I feel satisfied with the performance was and now it's even better.

Here is how I did my upgrade step-by-step (got this from mailing list and also the forum too) :

  1. The upgrade process took not more than 30 minutes for me because my Treo 750v is already unlocked since I get it at first time. It may take another minutes to unlock if yours is still locked.
  2. Please download these 3 files first :
    CheetahUnlocker.rar (for unlocking). You can get it from here.
    Treo750Radio1.54.07.00.rar (Radio). You can get it from here.
    Treo750_OS5_2_19199WWE_STD.rar (the OS). You can get it from here.
  3. Extract the three files first to ensure there are none corrupted files.
  4. Format a miniSD with FAT32 filesystem. (I'm using VGEN 2GB - cheap one, and I still made it, so no worries mate! :D)
  5. Please sync your Treo first. Wait until it finishes before we could start.
  6. If the sync succeed without any error, run the CheetahUnlocker. Since my Treo already unlocked, just run the step 1. (note: the cheetah unlocker need a dotnet2 frameworks).
  7. Wait until it finishes and the device restarted without any error before proceeding other step. Close the cheetah unlocker program so it won't distract us anymore. Ignore the second and third step for already unlocked device. If yours is still locked, you need to run the rest.
  8. Make sure you have your backup before we wipe all the data in device :D. I'm using PPCPimBackup application to backup my PIMs (which -sadly to say- didn't backup my SMS!)
  9. Copy the CHEEIMG.nbh (Radio) to MiniSD (please don't change the filename). Insert it into the Treo.
  10. While pressing the PTT button (-the button under the Volume button-) reset the device using the stylus. It will enter a bootloader menu and all we have to do is wait. (I was praying at this moment)..
  11. If it shows Update Success then we could stop pray rite now and remove the miniSD card.
  12. Remove the current file (Radio's) and copy the CHEEIMG.nbh (OS's) to MiniSD after that.
  13. While pressing the PTT button (-the button under the Volume button-) reset the device using the stylus. It will enter a bootloader menu and all we have to do is wait. (I was sleeping at this moment). This step should be finish faster than the Radio.
  14. Wait until it shows "Update Success" and congrats you now have a WM6.1 Treo.
  15. Do a soft reset. The first boot while take quite a time because it needs to setup a few things first.

Cheers..

RT

7 comments:

  1. How can I change the language to german?

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you could look for the available ROM with German language in :
    - http://tinyurl.com/c9sm5u
    and
    - http://tinyurl.com/dzhmt7

    Sorry can't give much help for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice article sweetie :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice job.

    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will this still work? The links are now broken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm.. there is possibility that the links are actually already changed. Perhaps you could directly search it in http://forum.xda-developers.com and http://forum.mobilism.org (was ppcwarez.org)

    Sorry if I can't help much.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments ~>